From UFStarfleet LCARS
The quantum torpedo is a tactical quantum weapon developed to counter the Borg and Dominion threat in 2371. As the photon torpedo reached what many Starfleet researchers agreed was its highest possible explosive yield, a group of engineers at the Starfleet R&D facility on Groombridge 273-2A began investigating methods for achieving a higher release of energy from a projectile of equal dimensions to the photon torpedo. It utilized a plasma warhead, deployed aboard starships with an effective range of approximately 8 million kilometres or 0.05 AU
- Varies dependent on launcher type
- Minimum of 150 isotons (Dependant on Class)
- The quantum torpedo uses a thoron web to block countermeasure radiation.
- Subspace detonator used for abort detination of torpedo after launch
- Propulsion system of the quantum torpedo is a warp sustainer engine and four microfusion thrusters, controlled by a bio-neural gel processor for flight control. The engine coils of the warp sustainer grab and hold a hand-off warp field from the torpedo launcher tube's sequential field induction coils. A miniature matter/antimatter fuel cell adds power to the hand-off field. When launched in warp flight, torpedo will continue to travel at warp, when launched at sublight, torpedo will travel at a high sublight speed, but will not cross the warp threshold.
- Torpedo's can be converted for a variety of scientific uses.
- Torpedo casings can be used to place dead crew members in for berial